xerces-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Perry A. Caro" <c...@Adobe.COM>
Subject A different namespace issue, bug?
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2001 19:43:46 GMT
Here's a different namespace issue in Xerces-C.  Consider the following simple input file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<doc>
    <first xlink:href="." />
    <second>some text</second>
    <third a="1">
        <fourth>Text</fourth>
        <fifth>
            <sixth a="1" b="2">
                <seventh a="1"/>
            </sixth>
        </fifth>
        <!-- comment -->
        <?pi ip?>
    </third>
</doc>

When I run this through the SAX2 parser interface for Xerces, with default feature settings
(which means namespace processing is on), I get the following fatal error:

Fatal Error: The prefix 'xlink' has not been mapped to any URI#114 (3:29)

I believe this is an overzealous interpretation of the XML and Namespace specs.  Just because
an XML name has ":" in it does not mean it is a qualified name in some namespace.

I believe a more correct intrepretation would be that if no matching xmlns declaration can
be found in the scope of the XML name, the name should be treated as an unqualified ordinary
name, just like "a" and "b" in the rest of the sample.

Compromise: make it a Warning rather than a Fatal Error.

Perry