xerces-c-dev mailing list archives

From Alfredo Munoz <amu...@eversystems.com>
Subject RE: Xerces-C and performance
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2001 18:16:37 GMT
I agree with Miroslav
Alfredo

-----Original Message-----
From: Miroslaw Dobrzanski-Neumann [mailto:mne@mosaic-ag.com]
Sent: Lunes, 05 de Febrero de 2001 01:49 p.m.
To: xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Xerces-C and performance

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 05:33:46PM +0100, nico.verboven.nv@belgium.agfa.com
wrote:
> Did anyone do some performance testing with the Xerces-C SAX parser.
> I my opinion, the performance is not very good, mainly due to the heavy
> use of C++ exceptions for normal operation.
> The Xerces-C uses exceptions to often, resulting in a lot of exceptions
being
> thrown during parsing. Exceptions is a large overhead, and should only
> be used for the cases where it was designed for, that is, exceptional
> circumstances,
It is exactly what I have read some time ago in Visual Studio Documentaion.
But Mr. Stroustrup means it is ok using exceptions for passing control flow
back from a complex context.
There are very efficient implementations of exception handling; see egcs or
other modern compilers.
It seams to me to be much cleaner throwing exception than walking thru if
then
else forest
--
Miroslaw Dobrzanski-Neumann