xerces-c-dev mailing list archives

From Joseph_Kessel...@lotus.com
Subject Re: Multithreading question
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2001 16:39:00 GMT

Good point; I'd forgotten about lazy evaluation. The Xerces Java DOM _did_
do that, and may still do it (it was known as the "deferred DOM". That does
involve rewriting part of the data structures, so two threads trying to to
late resolution of the same node could indeed step on each other unless
there's protection inside the DOM -- which there probably isn't, since
multithreading was not a priority.

Unclear whether working in separate subtrees would be safer or not; good
odds, but you'd have to look at exactly what the code is doing.

I think the answer here is "Read the source, and be prepared to recheck at
every release -- or design appropriate protection into your application,
which is probably safer and more reliable."