xerces-c-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Roddey <drod...@portal.com>
Subject RE: parse exceptions
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2001 18:20:17 GMT
Throw lists are evil basically, IMHO. They just create hardening of the
architectural arteries, and make something that should be a purely binarily
compatible change into a compilation breaking change. And they are ignored
by some compilers, e.g. VC++ anyway. Any coverage of what is thrown should
be in the offline documentation.

Basically, unless you have a specific reason to catch a specific exception,
all you should ever have to do is catch XMLException, by reference. And, if
you are doing SAX, you can catch the SAX exceptoins. That should catch
anything that is ever thrown, unless something has changed since I last
looked. There shouldn't be any exceptions that aren't based on XMLException
except the SAX ones, AFAIK.

--------------
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Portal, Inc
droddey@portal.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Vaughn [mailto:Bob_Vaughn@Telestream.net]
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 9:55 AM
To: xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: parse exceptions

Is there any way to determine what exceptions are thrown by
DOMParser::parse() without digging through the code?  I couldn't find it in
the documentation anywhere.  So far I gather that XMLException,
DOM_DOMException, and RuntimeException are thrown.  Couldn't the parse
method declaration (and all the methods in Xerces) be decorated with a throw
list?

Thanks for any help.

Bob Vaughn
Telestream, Inc.