xerces-c-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Roddey <drod...@charmedquark.com>
Subject Re: Bugs and Compile Problems in 1.4.0
Date Sun, 04 Feb 2001 07:26:09 GMT
> I did need to remove the call to #include<memory.h>  in
> /validators/DTD/CWStateSet.cpp to the new ANSI C++ way since codewarrior
> didn't have a memory.h file now that it has been deprecated.
> file://#include<memory.h>
> #include <memory>
> using namespace std;

We cannot really do that, since there are too many compilers that would have
to be supported that don't handle it. Really, what needs to be done is to
use string.h instead of memory.h I think. Try that and see if it doesn't
work. If so, then that change should be made to the code base.

> In general, shouldn't all the files use the new ANSI standard style for
C++
> files? I realize that some compilers don't support the new standard, but
> some also may not continue support indefinitely for the deprecated style.
>
> #include <iostream>
> using namespace std;
>
> should replace
>
> #include <iostream.h>

Again, not really feasible for now. All compilers are likely to support the
old scheme for the time being, even if they do it via some mapping
mechanism. But still, that would allow the Xerces code to remain consistent.

> Whenever a release is labeled, any platforms that don't build should be
> considered dead. If a release is ready, it may have to wait for a
maintainer
> for the platform to bring the platform up to date, or the platform should
be
> moved into a different tree that is not dead, but not supported by the
> release.

That would happen way too often to be practical. In every single release,
some of the platforms that are maintained by outsiders are not updated until
the new release is made. So it just wouldnt' be practical, for source
control reasons, to be continually moving the code around on every release.
If you are going to work with the source code directly, you just have to
become aware of some of these issues I think.

Dean Roddey
The CIDLib C++ Frameworks
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com