xerces-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Pierce" <jpie...@nyc.rr.com>
Subject Re: Bugs and Compile Problems in 1.4.0
Date Sun, 04 Feb 2001 21:55:03 GMT

> For example, the OS/2 binaries of 1.4.0 were available on Hobbes (a
> repository of OS/2 files) within 24 hours of the 1.4.0 release. I wouldn't
> be surprised to find the MacOS build on one of the Mac sites.

How do we know that these binaries were built with the 1.4.0 code base
without requiring additional local modifications to the build files or some
of the sources? Any changes to the source indicates that the port isn't
really supported by the port.

The platform port of the new release may also introduce platform specific
bugs compromise the perceived release quality. These may not be visible
since the same level of testing is not being done for all ports.

>What defines
> the "Platforms with Binaries" available on Apache is what the guys doing
the
> Binaries being on Apache doesn't have anything to do with
> the platform being supported. The Mac, OS/2, and all the other listed OSs
> are supported platforms because people are actively keeping them
up-to-date
> and synchronized with the current code release.

If it's widely used and tested, and can be built without many platform
specific modifications between releases, maybe the port should be added to
the Apache build process, especially if it's just a different compiler for
the same OS as other binary releases produced at Apache.

If not, we might want the binaries posted in an unsupported directory on the
Apache site so other users can find them.

Jonathan