xalan-j-users mailing list archives

From Justin Lipton <justin.lip...@exari.com>
Subject Piped versus sequential transforms
Date Thu, 09 May 2013 05:28:07 GMT
We have a chain of transforms that we need to send our XML through.
For a long time we've been using sequential transforms (with intermediate
results in byte arrays) that use one Transformer after another.
We started looking at piped transforms using TransformerHandlers to do
exactly the the same operation but found the performance was no better - in
fact it was a little worse.

Attached is a modifed example of the Pipe sample from:
Even with this trivial example, the sequential transforms outperform their
piped equivalents.

This raises the following questions:
- what are the scenarios where a piped transform is expected to outperform
a sequential transform?
- are there any techniques to get better performance out of piped

View raw message