xalan-dev mailing list archives

From janI <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: idea for upcomming xalan-c micro release.
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2013 18:20:27 GMT
On 31 October 2013 19:06, <shathawa@e-z.net> wrote:

> Greetings Jan,
>
> Jan,  I am mostly a C/C++ developer.
>
> The absence of communication on dev@ indicates lack of committers.

At least you have now found one that are interested, and trying to work
into the project :-)

> The support of VS-2012 will be included in the coming patch
> release.  I just need the time to finish the webpage
> documentation and get release approval.  The build support
> for VS-2012 appears functional in the trunk for both
> Xalan-C and Xerces-C.  If building from the latest Xerces-C
> release sources, you may need to splice the (VC11) project
> path from the trunk into your source tree to affect a useful
> build.  I cannot comment on when the next release of Xerces-C
> or patch will be available.
>
> I was hoping that the a patch release of Xalan-C would already
> be available.  The critical updates from JIRA have already
> been committed to the trunk.

Can I do something to help ?

> I would like to see the UNIX builds of xalan-c reformed to
> use GNU autotools. This should make it easier to support the
> changes to UNIX environments.  The Xerces-C XML Parser has
> already made the move to GNU autotools for their 3.x series
> releases.

I get your priority, and I am quite used to the autotools, so I will give
that a go instead of vc 2012. Please do not misunderstand me, I just want
to help getting this project moving without hurting anyone. Among others
because I need it for 2 projects (one being capstone).

> As for the Microsoft Visual Studio builds, we have a separate
> directory of projects and version-specific (.sln) files to
> accommodate the builds.
>
> I expect that when work is done to incorporate new features
> (i.e. exslt functions), the Microsoft Visual Studio (.sln)
> and project files will be updated and forward-migrated.
>
> The xalan message library implemented with VS-2003 uses a
> makefile project to convert XLIFF information into a message
> DLL.  VS-2005 and newer use a Xerces-C compiled program to
> convert XLIFF information into a message DLL.
>
> The Visual C++ (VC6) is no longer supported, but is available
> for developers that still need to build and link with Xerces-C
> 2.7 and 2.8 libraries.  Xerces-C 3.X series no longer supports
> Visual C++ (VC6). -- last supported by Xerces-C 2.8.
>
> If new features are inserted into the (VC8) VS-2005 builds, the
> Microsoft automatic upgrades usually work OK, stripping out a
> few automated compatibility features that are automatically
> added during the VS platform upgrades.
>
> I would welcome your infrastructure expertise.

thx, as you know I have it in 2 flavors, not only do I know about
infrastructures, but I am also deeply involved in infra, so if the project
needs anything in that direction I would be pleased to help.

I simply want to be helpful and earn my merit.

rgds
jan I.