Hi Jim,

I cannot say I'm a local folk, I am just keeping one eye to see how life returns here... :)

Pulling the whole thing into the memory may happen, and it depends on how the XSLT code is designed: whether it is based more on "push" or "pull" approach, see e.g. http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-xdpshpul.html . If your XSLT code is more of "pull", then you are most likely to get the whole thing into memory first...

Sometimes it is possible to convert "pull" to "push", but not always. And generally "push" code is better suited for big files. If you could post your XSLT code here, and if it is not too complicated, I might have a look. But we better move to the adjacent "j-users@xalan.apache.org" list first, as the "dev" list is intended for other sort of topics, I'm afraid...

Regards,
Sergey