www-women mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Our Charter
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 02:43:05 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>> Kathey is thinking about ApacheCon US 2004 -- iirc there were two women
>> speakers: me on derby and Julie MacNaught on wsrp4j ....
>>
> Thanks Jean for fixing up my mucked numbers. I remember the attendee
> ratio was what I found particularly enlightening
> Do you remember what that was?  I am curious also about the difference
> in that regard from  ApacheCon US 2004   to Dublin. Do you know?

I didn't attend ApacheCon Europe 2006 (Dublin).

My recollection of Apache US 2004 (Las Vegas) was there were about 20-30
women attendees out of 600 or so total. Few enough to notice the absence.

ApacheCon Europe 2005 (Stuttgart) was where I spotted only about 5
women out of about 350 attendees.  --btw, that was where Danese made her
big splash with her lightening talk about women in open source.

ApacheCon US 2005 (San Diego) had lots of women attendees from what I
recall. I didn't notice the absence of women that had been so noticeable
in Las Vegas and Stuttgart.

So, at least for ApacheCon US I perceived a noticeable increase in
attendance by women between 2004 and 2005. I'll be going to ApacheCon
Austin in October -- and will let everyone know what I see! btw, anyone
else going? See http://www.us.apachecon.com/ for details. It's a really
excellent opportunity to meet people face-to-face that you've only seen
on the apache lists.

 -jean