www-women mailing list archives

From Danese Cooper <dan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing 2006
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 17:05:40 GMT
Hey all...it was just quick thoughts ;-).  Julie is really the person
who should be fronting the proposal, since she first suggested it.

In my prior experience, the hardest bit of work in getting accepted
at GHC is filling out the damned proposal format (which is very
terse).  It took me a few hours of pruning because you have to
include brief bios on each of the proposed speakers and claims about
the benefits of your proposal within a 2-page (500 word) format.  I'm
*not* in fact keen to be that author this time around.  One more word
of warning...the GHC that I attended had some strange (in our FOSS
world) requirements around speakers having to pay for the privilege
to speak (eg. getting accepted as a speaker was NOT a ticket into the
event).  Since nearly everyone on my panel worked for a non-profit, I
successfully challenged that stance and got them to back down...but
unfortunately all that happened actually *at* the conference and
wasn't very pleasant for anyone (Mitchell Baker refused to speak if
anyone had to pay, so me just offering to get my employer to sponsor
didn't work).  All of this is a long story to say that I might or
might not be a good person to front the proposal given that they no
doubt *remember* me :-).

So, Julie (or Sally or Susan), feel like writing?

Danese