www-site-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1786095 - /infrastructure/site/trunk/content/dev/infra-contact.mdtext
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2017 12:14:58 GMT
On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 5:59 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 March 2017 at 11:20, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Could an svn commit arrive, while a contributor is working through the
> > conversion process, and verifying its result? Sure. But they can' just
> > re-run their conversion.
>
> They can, if they notice that SVN has been updated.
>
> But if they don't notice, or the commit mail gets delayed or lost and
> they don't recheck the SVN version manually, then the Git repo is
> broken.
>
> This process used to be undertaken by infra staff who should be well
> aware of the potential for lost updates.
>
> The average committer who now has to do the task may not have
> considered such possibilities.
>
> That is why it is safer to mark SVN read-only first.

Sure, fair point. I'd like to assume the communities know their stuff, but
you're right that not everybody knows about the edge cases.

"used to be undertaken by the infra staff" is precisely what we're stepping
away from. Infra does not have a unique access/skill in this area. In fact,
it is the community that can best determine whether the conversion outcome
is appropriate. Infra can only run a command, but has no ability to
determine if the result is successful.

> > Your thoughts on wording is most welcome.
>
> I thought I already commented ...
>
> > This is kind of a big change
> > around what Infra will help people with on svn->git. A good description
> of
> > the new position would be welcome!
>
> No idea what you mean by that.

Oh, just a simple ask for better words. As you noted, Infra used to do
this. We're looking to PMCs to do that now, so gotta craft text to that
effect. I'm just asking for your to help fix the page.

Cheers,
-g