www-repository mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sharing common groupId
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2016 12:00:00 GMT
On 16 November 2016 at 10:10, Lukasz Lenart <lukaszlenart@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there is any problem if multiple different
> projects shares the same groupId? I meant, we would like to allow
> third parties to use common groupId as mentioned in the post below
>
> http://markmail.org/message/yruabvlfpfdfw6w5
>
> Can this be a problem during publishing artifacts?

Yes. It can cause severe problems.

Maven uses the (groupId,artifactId) pair to determine which jars can
appear on the same classpath.

Unless all the projects sharing the groupId ensure that they use
distinct artifact Ids this can result in jar hell.

The simplest way to ensure distinct (groupId,artifactId) pairs is to
ensure each independent project uses different groupIds.
They can then maintain their own unique list of artifactIds.

A simple analogy: should we allow other organisations to use hostnames
under the apache.org domain?
That _could_ be made to work, but - just don't go there.