www-repository mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Monitoring the snapshot repo
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2008 00:46:28 GMT
Elsewhere, in a very long thread about the m2 snapshot repo taking too
much disk space, I wrote:

> Brian read my mind and proposed adding
> <uniqueVersion>false</uniqueVersion> to the ASF parent pom, so that by
> default projects will overwrite the same snapshot.   That won't take
> effect right away, projects will have to update their poms to use the
> new version once it's released.

This is being discussed on the Maven dev list.  Assuming no objections
we'll release a new parent pom with uniqueVersion=false in it.

> We'll get some sort of automated notification going to repository@ so
> the volunteers there can keep an eye on the size of the snapshot repo
> before it causes problems for the rest of the infra team.

Any volunteers for this part?  I know Hen already has some scripts
running against the repos looking for new items, it might make sense
to bring those into infra svn somewhere along with this (and possibly
Henk's signature checking scripts as well.)

> And we'll figure out whether it makes sense to automatically purge
> this repo using some code that understands how to fix the metadata and
> keep the latest snapshot.  (There might be a prerequisite to that,
> getting people to fix the permissions in that repo.)

I believe Brett sent Joe one script to do this, and there's also code
in Archiva and/or Continuum that knows how to purge a repo, keeping
the latest snapshot, fixing the metadata, etc.  Again, volunteers to
figure out the best way to do this and get it in place are welcome.

--
Wendy