www-repository mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: releases using incubator artifacts
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:36:38 GMT

On 12/11/2007, at 7:15 AM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

> I agree that releases shouldn't use incubator artifacts, but I can
> also
> see that if this is the case, the incubator projects will never find
> users and thus would never get out of the incubator. The only thing
> that
> makes sense then is to publish them to central. If they are official
> releases signed off by the incubator PMC, then what's the harm? The
> current method of not publishing them AND allowing them to be used is
> troublesome.

Robert Burrell Donkin said...
"AIUI the issue wasn't the officialness or not of the releases but the
inability for users to make an active and informed choice to use
incubating software (or not)"

Which kind of makes sense. Though by the same token, you would hope
that their active and informed choice to use activemq (no pun
intended) was transitive to activemq's active and informed choice to
use activeio. (hmm, I think I may be channelling James Strachan).

Personally, I'm happy to press the 4 or 5 buttons it took to proxy
the incubator repo to Archiva whitelisting the projects I know about
as they come in :)

Perhaps we just need to explain this on the maven site and let
projects that use incbuating stuff link there? I would hope it's not
a very frequent (or at least permanent) occurrence.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter - brett@apache.org