www-repository mailing list archives

From Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>
Subject Re: Relocation on a different version
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:17:46 GMT
Gilles Scokart wrote:
> Yes, I understand that someone decided to rename the version number.
>
> My problem is that I don't know how to consider the version number in the conflict resolution.
 If I consider the
> version number of the relocated module or the version number of the 'target of the relocation',
the result will be
> different.
>
> If I take the example of xml-apis, the version 1.3.03 evict the 1.0.b2, and 2.0.2 is
relocated to 1.0.b2.  Should 2.0.2
> evict 1.3.03 or not?
> Even worse, should 2.0.2 evict 1.0.b2?  If not, that means that eviction can only be
performed after reading both pom.
> In this example the relaction is done toward a smaller version number, but it could be
in the opposite.
> Does the 'b' in this particular case play a role?
>
> I'm lost with it.  I have the feeling that inconsistent things are introduced by the
relocation, but I didn't manage to
> pinpoint what.
>
> BTW, even if this is not very frequent, it is at least used by xml-api, which is himself
very frequently used.

IMO, a relocation is a fixup to metadata which was previously broken
(certainly in this case, in which the "2.0.2" is a Xerces version number
that was inappropriately used to label a version of xml-apis that was
bundled with that Xerces version), so I would suggest that it is the
relocated version that matters.

The significance of the 'b' is that that's what upstream chose to label
the version.

If you're trying to use Maven's sense of version comparison on those
versions, you'll encounter all sorts of bizarreness, though, because:

2.0.2 -> parsed as 2.0.2

1.3.03 -> parsed as 0.0.0-"1.3.03" because Maven considers the leading
zero to mean that the version is not simply numeric.

1.0.b2 -> parsed as 0.0.0-"1.0.b2" because the b is not numeric.

Max.