www-repository mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: wtf happened to log4j?
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:06:25 GMT
We were quickly notified that updating log4j 1.2.15 had the
unfortunate side effect of propagating non-redistributable artifacts
to dependent projects.   Those artifacts are necessary to build log4j,
but not necessary to run log4j unless you use specific features.
We've marked those dependencies as optional in our SVN HEAD's pom.xml (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/trunk/pom.xml

) and expect to push out a 1.2.16 in the near future.

There was a suggestion to scope the dependencies as "provided" since
if those features were used, it would generally (but not exclusively)
be in a J2EE environment where the dependencies would be part of the
J2EE classpath.  However, that seems wrong based on my reading.

If you have any advice on the log4j 1.2.16 pom.xml, please post to
log4j-dev.  Thanks.