www-repository mailing list archives

From "Brian E. Fox" <bri...@reply.infinity.nu>
Subject RE: releases using incubator artifacts
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:15:56 GMT
I agree that releases shouldn't use incubator artifacts, but I can also
see that if this is the case, the incubator projects will never find
users and thus would never get out of the incubator. The only thing that
makes sense then is to publish them to central. If they are official
releases signed off by the incubator PMC, then what's the harm? The
current method of not publishing them AND allowing them to be used is
troublesome.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gilles Scokart [mailto:gscokart@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 12:10 PM
To: repository@apache.org
Subject: RE: releases using incubator artifacts

There shouldn't have a release of an apache product depending on
incubator artefact.  Right, but the people outside
apache should be free to use it.  The central repository not only
contains official apache release.  Moreover,
incubating project are making release (well, incubator project is doing
it), distributed under Apache license.

So why not place them in central, provided that there is a clear
disclaimer in the POM that this is an incubating
release.

By the way, according to [1], "Every incubator release is also an Apache
release".
Note also, that according to the same document,
"It is best to use the groupId and artifactId that will be used upon
graduation. The version should include incubating
(or incubator) to ensure that the artifacts created comply with
Incubator release policy."

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

Gilles