www-repository mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: POM licensing
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 15:08:57 GMT
Daniel Kulp ha scritto:
> I think there are two issues that are being discussed on this thread:
>
> 1) The license of the POM itself
> 2) The license of the artifacts the pom describes (usually a jar)
> [...]
> The first one is a bit trickier.   I guess that would be the header that
> is stuck at the top of the pom.   But, as mentioned previously, there
> are cases where the release plugin strips that header.   (I know, the
> proper fix is it fix the plugin).    Also, should the pom be under the
> same license as the artifact.    If the pom has the above lines in it,
> is that good enough?    Good question.

Even if we fix the release plugin, we put an hard oversight on the new
poms accepted via the "JIRA Upload" workflow, and we add new checks for
automatically-rsynced repositories to enforce presence of a "known"
license header on the pom (and I think this would be already a BIG effort)

- how do we deal with all of the old poms not having such header?

- Furthermore, what would be the allowed POM licenses? I think we should
only accept licenses that we are already allowed to redistribute within
ASF projecs (Category A in http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html,
because pom.xml is a source, so Category B does not work)

- What do we do with non-ASL projects? e.g: javamail is distributed
under the CDDL, on the java.net repository they publish their own
artifacts and their own poms. The poms do not include any header, so we
cannot simply take it and publish it in central and we cannot use it
directly because it does not contains license header. Should we write
our own descriptors for this artifacts? Wouldn't be a source of
confusion if we publish on central poms declaring the same
artifactId/groupid of the one published on java.net but including
different informations?

Stefano