www-repository mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: POM licensing
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 07:58:57 GMT
Carlos Sanchez ha scritto:
> i'm trying to follow this thread and seems that we are talking about
> two different things:
>
> 1) the license of the project the pom describes
> 2) the license of the pom itself
>
> For 1) all apache projects must extend the parent apache pom
>   <parent>
>     <groupId>org.apache</groupId>
>     <artifactId>apache</artifactId>
>     <version>4</version>
>   </parent>
>
> For 2) all projects need to add the license header to the pom as they
> do with any other file in apache svn

The issue is #2. Very few poms in the maven repository have a license
header, so this would let me thing that we cannot legally use them as
they don't declare any license and they don't give us any right of use
or redistribution.

So either the basic informations contained in a pom are not
copyrightable, or we have to deal with their copyright and licensing.

In the former case everything is ok and we simply need the central
repository to declare a licensing for its "database" (the collection of
the poms could be an index/database).

In the latter we have to make sure every pom added to the central comes
with a license that allow redistribution and allow automated use by
tools like maven.

WDYT?

Stefano