www-repository mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: POM licensing
Date Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:44:45 GMT
On 30/09/2007, Robert Burrell Donkin <rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
> many (most?) pom's in the repository lack license information. it's
> therefore unclear under what conditions the meta-data can be used or
> re-used. this prevents meta-data mining.
>
> since the respository is hosted on apache hardware, IMHO the meta-data
> released through the repository should be explicitly licensed under
> ALv2.0.

interesting point.

1. under US law (not EU), indexed data itself isnt really
copyrightable. The form might be, but not the index.

2. Anyone who provides the artifacts+nmetadata via a JIRA bugrep may
be implicitly licensing it, though since those bugs are filed on
codehaus (correct?), that may not hold.

3.  we could make it explicit for all future uploads.

What MD-mining have you been planning?