www-repository mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: POM licensing
Date Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:57:05 GMT
On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 17:44 +0100, Steve Loughran wrote:
> On 30/09/2007, Robert Burrell Donkin <rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
> > many (most?) pom's in the repository lack license information. it's
> > therefore unclear under what conditions the meta-data can be used or
> > re-used. this prevents meta-data mining.
> >
> > since the respository is hosted on apache hardware, IMHO the meta-data
> > released through the repository should be explicitly licensed under
> > ALv2.0.
>
> interesting point.
>
> 1. under US law (not EU), indexed data itself isnt really
> copyrightable. The form might be, but not the index.

yes, AIUI the expression only is copyrightable.

IIRC there is some protection for databases to prevent data mining of
complete data sets but i doubt that applies in this case

my worry is the automated transformation of that expression into another
usually requires copyright permission. so, though i might be ok going
through a pom and writing down it's license, the automated case may not.
probably a question for legal-discuss...

> 2. Anyone who provides the artifacts+nmetadata via a JIRA bugrep may
> be implicitly licensing it, though since those bugs are filed on
> codehaus (correct?), that may not hold.

codehaus makes things more difficult. AL2.0 gives apache rights to code
submitted to apache. i don't think that this applies to code submitted
through codehaus.

> 3.  we could make it explicit for all future uploads.

that'd do a lot to clarify the status and allow people outside apache to
safe copy and use this meta-data

> What MD-mining have you been planning?

the discordia lab plans to extract licensing related information to
build a artifact->license database (probably using RDF). this can then
be used to cross reference to license family meta-data.

- robert