www-repository mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject trying to understand the xbeans dependencies
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2007 12:25:00 GMT
the other graph I'm trying to understand is xbeans/xmlbeans. The code
I'm ivyfying has an xmlbeans.jar in its lib dir that I am trying to
match to artifacts (*)

1. There's an xbean/xbean/2.1 artifact that has a full m2 pom
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/packages/maven2/xbean/xbean/2.1/xbean-2.1.pom

complete with seemingly excessive dependencies

2/ There's an xmlbeans/xbean which represents the apache xmlbeans
product, which also has a 2.1 version

3. There's an org.xbean/xbean artifact that seems to share the pom of
/xbean/xbean
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/packages/maven2/org/xbean/xbean/2.1/xbean-2.1.pom

This is all a mess.

1. We shouldnt have both org.xbean and xbean, and if the latter must
exist, surely its pom must be updated to accomodate the fact that it
is, by virtue of being in a different place, a different artifact.

2. its messy for both Apache XMLBeans and Apache Geronimo xbeans to
both be publishing xbeans JAR files. It means >1 apache project
producing jars of the same name, which is going to lead to all kinds
of confusion.

I dont think we can fix (2) in the repository, but we ought to
complain to the appropriate teams/pmcs that they are making things
messy downstream.

-steve

(*) of course, I could just md5sum it and work backwards from that. If
we had a form or URL that would do the mapping from an md5sum to
artifact, it would be trivial