www-repository mailing list archives

From Henning Schmiedehausen <henn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Howto publish a JAR that was not generated by Maven to the m2 repo ?
Date Sat, 30 Jun 2007 12:23:48 GMT
On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 12:12 +0100, Steve Loughran wrote:

Just out of interest: What can VMWare images do that build roots can
not? I use for that kind of testing build roots for ages, which can
simply be untarred and later discarded. I know of at least two major
Linux vendors (one now defunct) that build their release systems using
build roots.

[...]

> To test the production RPMs I need two vmware images, one to check out
> and build the RPMs from the repository on an untainted system, then,
> another vm where we scp the rpms and sshexec the install instructions.
> VM#2 doesnt have the user who created the RPMs, and I have to parse
> the output of the rpm --install -vv operation to verify that no
> warnings about unknown users are created, then running the installed
> programs on the remote box and verifying the version strings are
> correct.  That's the kind of thing that has kept me busy yesterday:
> http://jira.smartfrog.org/jira/browse/SFOS?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion:subversion-project-tab
>
> I cant imagine how people did this without vmware/xen

With build roots, cp and chroot? ;-)

	Best regards
		Henning