www-repository mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: what does ${version} do in a POM
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 10:24:39 GMT

> BTW I agree with steeve, published metadata should be self contained
> with no reference, it would make tool development much easier and much
> more stable and reproducible. It's nice to know this has been done in
> maven 1.1.

If you were to be fully rigorous, you'd do a complete closure of the
dependency graph, so the metadata of every artifact would list the
dependencies as resolved by the build tool at the time of release.
That way you don't have to "think like a turtle" and reimplement the
resolution logic of the specific tool used just to get the
dependencies. It would also be a nice regression test for resolution
code...if you resolved the pom and came up with something different
from the closure, you'd know your algorithm was broken.

-steve