www-repository mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: artifactIds and "apache-" prefix for trademark-enabled artifacts
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 11:21:01 GMT
> I'm all for protecting things... but if that means putting "apache-"
> in-front of everything... then I'm not sure how well that is going to
> fly with the rest of the community.

Here's a problem I have with the apache- prefix.

1. I have the right to cut my own distributions of any apache project
2. I have the right to publish them to any private repository, where
that includes repositories private to the two class-A domains of my
employers, i.e. 1/128 of the entire IPV4 address space.
3. but if the artifacts have apache- in the front, then surely I am
claiming my private artifacts are in fact apache distros, when unless
I am the release manager for an artifact, and follow the formal
release process, that is not the case.

so, -1 on process grounds, and -1 because you can take branding too
far. Should we rewrite all the ant and maven docs to tell people to
install into ApacheAnt and ApacheMaven dirs, and rename the env
variables APACHE_ANT_HOME and APACHE_MAVEN_HOME? I think not.

-steve