www-repository mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: artifactIds and "apache-" prefix for trademark-enabled artifacts
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 08:58:07 GMT
It would be a incredible pity if we had to prefix *every artifact*
with "apache-".  I believe that wrt to Maven artifacts that the
"org.apache." groupId prefix should suffice.  Perhaps for
distribution assemblies if we want to prefix everything with
"apache-" that should be fine (which it would be nice to get some
official clarification and documentation on this policy) .

But., for the artifacts themselves... do we really need this?  Apache
Geroniomo has like 200+ modules and we are already pushing the
envelope wrt windows paht length limitations with
"org.apache.geronimo".  In some cases I think we are 10-30 chars away
from breaching the limit, which does end up biting us from time to
time.  Anyways, that is our problem, not all of Apache's.

IMO, there is no reason to prefix each and every artifact's filename
produce by an ASF project with "apache-"... assembly zip/tgz okay,
maybe... but for other Maven artifacts I belive that the org.apache
groupId should be sufficient.

--jason