www-repository mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject artifactIds and "apache-" prefix for trademark-enabled artifacts
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 08:45:47 GMT
Yesterday I was talking to Robert Burrell Donkin on Apache JAMES dev
list about a work-in-progress release of our mime4j product.

You can read the whole thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/james-server-dev/200705.mbox/%3cf470f68e0705130612p6daba5cdve31969c139a8427e@mail.gmail.com%3e

A summary is that there is an (maybe unwritten) ASF policy requiring us
to use the "apache-" prefix in every redistributable artifact so to
enable trademark law to be used against anyone passing off bad packages.

Browsing the apache m2 repository I found very few products using the
prefix.

Of course the short-term solution is to add the "apache-" prefix to all
of our artifactId but I wanted to spread the word and to hear your
suggestions on how to make this "policy" more widely adopted by ASF
products.

E.g: maybe that an apache m2 plugin could be developed to check that the
artifactId begins with "apache-" or complain with a text and added to
the apache root pom? I think that similar technical solutions are much
more effective than any documentation page :-)

Stefano