www-repository mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making Policy decisions on artifacts and how they look.
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:38:27 GMT
> On 12/12/06, Steve Loughran <steve.loughran@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/12/06, Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:
> >

> > > Having said that, I've always been rather freaked out by the goings-on
> > > in repository-land.
> >
> > How so?
>
> 1. Total lack of control on what goes in and out.

+1

I'd really like to get log data from one of the main repos, to see
which artifacts are popular; and which are being looked for and not
found. Is there any way to do this?

> 2. Tying project builds to existence of specific internet resources --
> and even worse if they are apache.org resources.

oh, that reminds me. For the rules. No -SNAPSHOT dependencies.

> But I admit that I don't follow any of it very closely.  What mainly
> gets me is when some change on some server someplace causes people to
> come screaming "you broke my build".  Having changes on someone else's
> server break builds of software on your computer just seems like way
> too fragile of an ecosystem to me.

We call it a distributed system :)

When I build up a new linux distro I add various 'unofficial' apt
repos to the world; I dont live in that much fear that the repo that
serves Xine goes away, or that the dependency logic is broken. Why
should things be different in the Java space?

Carlos, Wendy and others are actually so rigorous about not breaking
peoples builds they prefer to leave artifacts in the wrong place and
with bad metadata (eg. commons-logging 1.1.) rather than correct
obvious defects. That's why we need to lock down the transition of
artifacts from staging to live. IMO part of the problem is in the
clients which never invalidate their cache; they assume metadata is
always complete and perfect. This makes it hard to correct metadata
bugs because the changes only propagate to new machines.

-Steve