www-repository mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ibiblio repository broken for Maven 1.0.2
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 15:11:42 GMT
On 08/12/06, Jeff Turner <jefft@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 04:26:04PM +0200, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 11/30/06, Carlos Sanchez <carlos@apache.org> wrote:
> > >Yep, I know Jason did the change today
> >
> > What's the plan on resolving the issue? Will the redirect be reverted,
> > or should I work around the issue for example by explicitly setting
> > maven.repo.remote to http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven/ in
> > project.properties?
>
> Indeed, what is the plan? There is an awful lot of software around the
> world not building because of this.

I may have to do some regression testing on other bits of code that
uses the site too.

 -the <get> in Ant's fetch.xml that pulls down the m2 ant tasks themselves.
 -the smartfrog components
Both of these use Sun's APIs; they may or may not follow redirs
automatically. Priority goes to the ant fetch.xml as we were planning
to release

While I celebrate load balancing and fault tolerance, and think one of
the advantages of HTTP over SOAP is the ability to include meaningful
response codes that trigger on followup actions, it is kind of
disruptive when a sudden change breaks all applications that depend on
the implicit architecture of an implementation.

To put it differently: if you are going to do redirects, start off
from the beginning with one that 302s to the same host, just to force
the clients to be redir

-Steve

"You know you have a distributed system when the crash of a computer
you've never heard of stops you from getting any work done." Lesle
Lamport.