www-repository mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [repo] /www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository/
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 05:48:44 GMT
On 12/11/06, Chamikara Jayalath <chamikaramj@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually I was following the convention that was being followed by many WS
> projects. I.e. to have the package name in the group Id.
>
> For example Apache Axis2 project has the group Id ' org.apache.axis2' and
> Apache Axis has the group Id 'org.apache.axis'. Is there an reason to do it
> differently in this project ?

The Maven convention is to use a domain name that you control, not
(necessarily) the package name.  (See:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ibiblio-upload.html)

In addition, within Apache we like to be able to easily identify the
responsible PMC by looking at the groupId.

I think we've talked about Axis and Axis2 here before.  IMO, they also
belong under org.apache.ws and should eventually be relocated.  When
there are existing releases, changing the groupId can cause some pain,
so they're generally being allowed to stay for now.

For new sub-projects within Apache, there's no reason to continue
inventing new groupIds that don't correspond to top level projects.
For this one, org.apache.ws.sandesha2 seems appropriate.

Carlos, any further thoughts on this?

--
Wendy