www-repository mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Staging repository
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:35:14 GMT
Jorg Heymans wrote:
> Wendy Smoak wrote:
>
>> It's not formalized yet, but opinion is leaning towards "projects
>> shouldn't release directly to the rsync repos".
>
> If one shouldn't use it as a remote repo and one shouldn't release to it
> then perhaps it shouldn't be named 'repo' anymore. It only confuses people.
>

>> There was talk at ApacheCon US and on dev@maven about staging releases
>> and then promoting them to the release/rsync repo after a vote.
>
> At the moment we (Cocoon) decided to 'stage' our release to
> people.a.o:~jheymans/staging-repo. After testing we 'mv' the files to
> ibiblio-rsync. Not an ideal situation but i guess there aren't really
> any alternatives.
>
>> (I'm not sure how your project is handling releases

though it's an important reason for us because we want to vote on the artifacts
that are available in the staging repository.

>>, but your concern
>> about releasing during a sync made me think you're concerned about not
>> having a chance to review it before it syncs.)
>>

> It's not so much that we wouldn't get a chance to review, it's more that
> we are afraid that the sync cronjob kicks in during a release execution
> and publishes only half or parts of the released artifacts.

that's definitly another good argument for a staging repo.

                                     - o -

So what about setting up a directory
/x1/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-staging-repository at people.apache.org?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc