www-repository mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [repo] /www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository/
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:31:16 GMT
> As far as I can tell, the association of a project with a PMC is for
> convenience and has nothing to do with the name or identity of the
> project. Look at projects that used to be in jakarta and are now in
> commons. And the DB PMC has a grab bag of projects.
>
> I suppose you could say the same about the groupId, but I think the
> connection between a PMC and a groupId is much more tenuous than
> between a project identity and a groupId.
>
> So I'd like to see the projects continue to choose their groupId
> according to consensus within the projects, possibly based on
> recommendations made by others (e.g. the maven folks are happy to
> recommend naming schemes, and the PMC's themselves might contribute
> ideas); and not have Apache or anyone else tell the projects how to
> name their groupIds.

I'd like to see it so that we have:

a) org/apache/*. Everything down to that level 'secured'.

b) One PMC per project directory. ie) org/apache/commons/*

c) N projects per PMC. ie) org/apache/sandesha2 is absolutely fine.

d) Project directories are group-owned by the PMC unix group. commons
by jakarta, sandesha2 by ws etc.

Requests for new project directories to be dealt with by Infra via JIRA.

Hen

[Okay, I'm stealing much of this from an IRC idea from Wendy]