www-repository mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [repo] /www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository/
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:16:50 GMT
On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 22:48 -0700, Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 12/11/06, Chamikara Jayalath <chamikaramj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Actually I was following the convention that was being followed by many WS
> > projects. I.e. to have the package name in the group Id.
> >
> > For example Apache Axis2 project has the group Id ' org.apache.axis2' and
> > Apache Axis has the group Id 'org.apache.axis'. Is there an reason to do it
> > differently in this project ?
>
> The Maven convention is to use a domain name that you control, not
> (necessarily) the package name.  (See:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ibiblio-upload.html)
>
> In addition, within Apache we like to be able to easily identify the
> responsible PMC by looking at the groupId.
>
> I think we've talked about Axis and Axis2 here before.  IMO, they also
> belong under org.apache.ws and should eventually be relocated.  When
> there are existing releases, changing the groupId can cause some pain,
> so they're generally being allowed to stay for now.

i can see the logic behind this change in policy but it's important to
understand the impact and pain that changes cause to users upstream and
downstream. if this change really is needed then maybe an announcement
to committers plus follow up help might allow changes to be made before
a release arrives at the repository.

> For new sub-projects within Apache, there's no reason to continue
> inventing new groupIds that don't correspond to top level projects.

most new project and sub-projects should now come through the incubator.
i'm a long way from being an expert in maven especially when it comes to
changes from established practise (as wrong as it might have be). if
those with more maven knowledge could document what they need from the
meta-data or even better subscribe to incubator and take a look at some
of the releases then i think that this could be dealt with relatively
quickly and painlessly.

- robert