www-repository mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: getting a full rsync
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 21:43:54 GMT
> The ASF one, or the central maven.org/ibiblio one?

Everything.

> One easy way would be to talk to Jason/repository@maven.org about
> being a mirror. I know they're looking to sign up mirrors at the
> moment.

I dont want to be a public mirror, as sometimes we have to pay for
network traffic.

We only get free bandwidth to Janet on account of them hosting grid
science experiments on the server farm; if for some reason we had to
stop being a site on the UK national grid service then we'd be paying
for every byte. We really need one of the UK academic sites to become
a mirror.

Also I'd probably abuse everyone's privacy by analysing the access
logs to infer interesting facts, like which missing artifacts were
looked for a lot, what versions of what tools were out there (assuming
the different clients set different UA headers, I will have to make
sure my apps do exactly that). You don't want me in a position of
power, really.

Stefano M. hinted that it could be hosted at MIT, though we'd have to
run our code there. That's the other solution, see: take our code to
the data. Are there any servers close to the mirror when we could run
some apps? I guess people.apache.org would be the place to test
against the apache subset.

-steve