www-repository mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [repo] /www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository/
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 05:29:52 GMT
Wendy Smoak wrote:

>> we are reflecting the group id based on the package names which we
>> voted on. So this is the correct groupId.
>
> Within Apache the convention seems to be that the group IDs should
> reflect the PMC that has oversight.  So org.apache.ws.* would be
> appropriate.  We should write this down somewhere...

I have seen a few posts on this (on this list, I think), but I don't
recall consensus.  I don't think it is a good idea to embed the PMC
name, unless it is naturally embedded in the package naming, since these
things change and I would see package names as more "durable."  For
example, I would be -1 on embedding "jakarta" in the commons group ID,
which we did not do when we published the commons-parent POM.

Phil