www-repository mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Sync request
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 14:48:55 GMT
Trustin Lee wrote:
> On 10/2/06, *Carlos Sanchez* <carlos@apache.org
> <mailto:carlos@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     Is mina a top level project? http://mina.apache.org/ doesn't work for me
>

> No, it's not.  But we have been using org.apache.mina package name for a
> long time.  Recently we've sent a TLP proposal for MINA to the
> board@apache.org <mailto:board@apache.org>.  It should be discussed in
> the next meeting.

Hi Carlos,

MINA was in an interesting situation where we had to make a serious
judgment call.

MINA is about to bud off from the Directory TLP and become it's own TLP.
  Everything has been prepared and a resolution is before the board.
The probability of TLP formation is extremely high with several board
members actually wondering why MINA is still part of Directory.

The problem was that we were about to release MINA 1.0 and did not want
to have to yank users around with a groupId change after 1.0 especially
since it's emergence as a TLP was weeks away.  We all wanted MINA 1.0.x
to be stable in every aspect including the group ID it was using.
Changing the groupId on say a 1.0.1 release would have sent the wrong
message to MINA users.

So we weighed all the options and the directory PMC decided to release
MINA 1.0.0 with org.apache.mina groupId to spare users.  Now ApacheDS
1.0.0 is waiting on the jars of MINA to get to ibiblio with a completely
broken build.

I know this is a bit of an odd situation but we're in a bind here and
would appreciate it if you can consider this a very special case.

Thanks much,
Alex