www-repository mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: maven2 based releases for the james project and ASF policy
Date Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:30:39 GMT
> Stefano,
>
> I was thinking about the same thing for the last few days :) Here's
> something that will work. It's a variant on your steps.
>
> Start with your #1, #2, but skip #3 and in #4 instead of a http url
> specify the directory on the hard disk where the svn checkout of the
> third-party-m1 directory is present.
>
>                 <repository>
>                         <id>james-private-repo</id>
>                         <name>James Private Repository</name>
>                         <url>file:${basedir}/../../third-party-m1</url>
>                         <releases>
>                                 <enabled>true</enabled>
>                         </releases>
>                         <snapshots>
>                                 <enabled>true</enabled>
>                         </snapshots>
>                 </repository>
>
> What does this buy us?
> - We don't need to overload infra or worry about mirrors.
> - No need to worry about the web site.
> - Complete control over the jars
> - No network traffic as the jars are on the hard disk.
> - When we make a release the source zip is self-contained (no network
> access needed, no need to worry about jars disappearing from remote
> maven repos)
>
> What do you think?

this is probably what any project that uses the repositories ends up
doing. In private projects you can add all the restricted JARs, like
j2ee.jar, and not get into trouble, but in OSS projects its more
complex. A repository under apache SCM still can only host stuff under
licenses that the management approve of. That may be apache license
only, or it may scale out to some others. Sun-restricted and (L)GPL
would be out. \

-steve