www-repository mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: which ejb. persistence
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:48:28 GMT
On 13/08/06, Steve Loughran <steve.loughran@gmail.com> wrote:
> Theres the javax.persistence.persistence-api
>
> http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/javax.persistence/persistence-api/1.0
>
> and then there's the javax/persistence/ejb/ package
>
> http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/javax.persistence/ejb
>
> How are these different?

oops. sent too early.

I've been trying to do some more EJB stuff (yes, it *does* suck), and
come to the conclusion that the repository around the EJB/j2ee
artifacts are a complete mess. It kind of mirrors the mess that is J2EE

1. javax.persistence is a mess

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/javax/persistence/

-javax.persistence/ejb contains POM files all EJB3.0 persistence API
releases prior to the final one, but no binaries.

-the final one comes up under javax.persistence/persistence-api/1.0 ,
even though its version
should possibly be 3.0-fr.

-there is a directory ejb-3.0-public-draft/ which needs purging:

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/javax/persistence/ejb-3.0-public-draft/

2. Hibernate dependencies are on the javax.persistence.ejb stuff; the
nonexistent bits.

e.g. http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/hibernate/hibernate-annotations/3.1beta4/hibernate-annotations-3.1beta4.pom

    <dependency>
      <groupId>javax.persistence</groupId>
      <artifactId>ejb</artifactId>
      <version>3.0-public_review</version>
    </dependency>

Note that hibernate-annotations beta5 and beta6 exist, but they
contain source files, no poms. So that bit of the repository is no
use. Hibernate core does have any releases in at all, not even common
betas.

3. javax.ejb.ejb should be the rest of the EJB api, the annotations of
things like @stateless.

But it stops at version 2.1; there is no EJB3 out there either.
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/javax/ejb/ejb/

4. there's a stub javax.j2ee.j2ee pom, which is of no use to anyone

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/javax/j2ee/j2ee/1.4/j2ee-1.4.pom

I'd summarise the current state of the repository as "too much of a
mess for anyone to use it for any Java EE 5 or hibernate dev". Its
full of dated stub poms, and not much else.

We need to fix this. Here is what I'd propose

-clean up javax.persistence. give the persisence-api a 3.0-fr tag
instead of 1.0, though we need to talk to people. We also need to
understand why that jar has a different SHA1 checksum from that which
jboss ships. I'm pulling down the proper j2ee SDK to understand things
more.

-put in more modern hibernate artifacts. Give the POMs metadata that
makes it clear we added it, not the hibernate team.

-pull in glassfish released artifacts to round off the javax. corner.
Ideally, JTA. JAAS and JACC should all have artifacts.

Now, how do I go about doing this in the repository?

-steve