www-repository mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.2 M1 artifacts in m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 00:01:47 GMT
On 8/6/06, Brett Porter <brett.porter@gmail.com> wrote:

> This isn't a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. If you put something
> into the sync repository, it is the same as putting it into /dist/.
> You've said "we've released these files, push them out to the world".
>
> It's becoming all too frequent that stuff gets pushed there and then
> done again when a problem is noticed. I would like to see us
> cataloguing the reasons this occurs and doing whatever we can to avoid
> it in future.

We need a release staging repository.  And then we need a reliable way
to "promote" artifacts from staging to ibiblio-rsync, so that the
repository metadata is correct.

I can't see how any project with a reasonably complex build could
release straight to the rsynced repo.  And definitely not the ones
(like Struts) that use a test build stage, where a version is tagged
and built, then voted on later.  It's nice if everything works
perfectly the first time, but all you have to do is forget to enable a
profile, or have a connection drop, and you have to re-build.

What do you think?

--
Wendy