www-repository mailing list archives

From "Carlos Sanchez" <car...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How do I relocate an artifact?
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:35:27 GMT
> Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> > On 7/3/06, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
> >> Hello list
> >>
> >> This is my first post to this list. Please let me know if these
> >> questions are inappropriate for this list.
> >>
> >> Being a committer at jakarta-commons, I have started the work on
> >> relocating the artifacts for commons to a new groupId. At present all
> >> released artifacts for commons components are deployed to the ASF
> >> java-repository (from here on I will call it the Maven 1 repository).
> >> The artifacts are deployed there in a commons-<component_name> directory.
> >>
> >> We would like to relocate our artifacts to the new structure and use a
> >> groupId of org.apache.commons. Discussions about this has been held [1]
> >> on commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org. Brett Porter and Carlos Sanchez have
> >> been helpful in the discussions and have recommended what needs to be
> >> tested.
> >>
> >> I have done the necessary testing and would now like to take the next
> >> step. There is one question that remains unanswered, and that is which
> >> repository to make the change in: Maven 1 or Maven 2.
> >
> > You would need to put the relocation poms in the Maven 2 one, I'll
> > sync it to ibiblio overriding what it was previously there.
>
> OK, but there are no Maven 2 poms for commons components in the ASF
> Maven 2 repo, because commons components are built using Maven 1. I
> understand that the Maven 1 poms are converted before they are synced to
> the Maven 2 repo at ibiblio. Are they built and kept somewhere on ASF
> hardware, so that I can get my hands on them? This would be needed for
> re-signing the poms as well.

create them just with groupId, artifactId, version and the relocation
info, the real info goes into the destination pom

> > Artifacts go to the repository of the Maven version they are build
> > with, so things built with maven1 go to the maven1 repo (directory
> > org.apache.commons) and things built with maven2 go to the maven2 repo
> > (directory org/apache/commons)
>
> Yes.
>

> >> The tests I have made have all been done using Maven 2 and a local Maven
> >> 2 repository. How would I go about relocation something in the Maven 1
> >> repo? The Maven 1 pom does not seem to have a relocation element, like
> >> the Maven 2 pom have.
> >
> > Maven 1 users using old group will work as always as artifacts won't
> > be removed, just poms, but they need to explicitly change the groupId
> > of their commons dependencies to use the new releases.
> > Maven 2 users using the old groupId will get a warning to remember
> > updating the groupid. Note that it'd be helpful to add a relocation
> > pom for the next release of every commons library to the old group so
> > people get the warning when trying to update only version, as they may
> > have cached poms of the current ones.
>
> So, when we release the next version of, say commons-lang (2.2), we
> should publish a Maven 2 pom with a groupId of commons-lang, a version
> of 2.2 and include a relocation section? In addition to publishing the
> Maven 1 pom as we have always done. This step would be a one time thing
> to do for the first release of every component after the change of
> groupId is made, right?

yes, so people already using the last version get a warning when they
try to upgrade. If you want to do it for the x next releases better,
but it's up to you. Once is a good idea.

--
I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.