www-repository mailing list archives

From "Carlos Sanchez" <car...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How do I relocate an artifact?
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2006 23:11:11 GMT
> Hello list
>
> This is my first post to this list. Please let me know if these
> questions are inappropriate for this list.
>
> Being a committer at jakarta-commons, I have started the work on
> relocating the artifacts for commons to a new groupId. At present all
> released artifacts for commons components are deployed to the ASF
> java-repository (from here on I will call it the Maven 1 repository).
> The artifacts are deployed there in a commons-<component_name> directory.
>
> We would like to relocate our artifacts to the new structure and use a
> groupId of org.apache.commons. Discussions about this has been held [1]
> on commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org. Brett Porter and Carlos Sanchez have
> been helpful in the discussions and have recommended what needs to be
> tested.
>
> I have done the necessary testing and would now like to take the next
> step. There is one question that remains unanswered, and that is which
> repository to make the change in: Maven 1 or Maven 2.

You would need to put the relocation poms in the Maven 2 one, I'll
sync it to ibiblio overriding what it was previously there.

Artifacts go to the repository of the Maven version they are build
with, so things built with maven1 go to the maven1 repo (directory
org.apache.commons) and things built with maven2 go to the maven2 repo
(directory org/apache/commons)

> The tests I have made have all been done using Maven 2 and a local Maven
> 2 repository. How would I go about relocation something in the Maven 1
> repo? The Maven 1 pom does not seem to have a relocation element, like
> the Maven 2 pom have.

Maven 1 users using old group will work as always as artifacts won't
be removed, just poms, but they need to explicitly change the groupId
of their commons dependencies to use the new releases.
Maven 2 users using the old groupId will get a warning to remember
updating the groupid. Note that it'd be helpful to add a relocation
pom for the next release of every commons library to the old group so
people get the warning when trying to update only version, as they may
have cached poms of the current ones.

> Another thing that I wondered about, as I read about publishing
> artifacts,  is signing. The old pom will have to be changed, on way or
> the other, to include the relocation info. Does that mean that it needs
> to be re-signed?

I think so, I'd consider that this is a special case and pom
modification is allowed.

--
I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.