www-repository mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: First step
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 15:58:39 GMT
> On 6/8/06, Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Moving stuff out of www.apache.org/dist/ is a good idea, but I'm still
> > -1 on any kind of repo.apache.org until we are clear how the bandwidth
> > and scalability issues are going to be addressed.  Call it
> > privaterepo.apache.org if you want.  But we don't want to imply that
> > this is something people should be permanently pointing at until
> > permanent policies are in place.
>
> Brett et Maven guys, do we have any idea of the iBiblio bandwidth
> usage? I imagine ASF material makes up a solid %age of that.
>
> Currently as I understand it bandwidth hits on people.apache.org are
> minimal, which makes sense as there are very few direct users of the
> repositories at the ASF. So we've no direct info as to how to
> calculate bandwidth and scalability.
>
> How do the ASF bandwidth deals work?

We have a fixed 30Mbps at UnitedLayer of which, the last time I
checked, we tend to use about 2/3.  (At the moment the main websites
are pointed at our European mirror, so we are probably using somewhat
less.)  We are gradually moving to OSUOSL, and I have no idea what the
bandwidth deal with them is.

The main question is do we want to provide a direct download service.
Our policy to this date has been no; we direct users to mirrors for
downloads.  And I don't think it would be fair for certain projects to
get around this just because they want to use a maven repository.  It
would work fine for a few projects, but if everyone started doing it,
we couldn't support it.

On the other hand, if we want to get into the non-mirrored download
business, I'm sure we could find the resources someplace.  But it
needs to be planned in a way that will work for the long term and for
the apache community as a whole.  My "-1" is for the idea of just
pointing people at our servers because it is the easy way out.

Joshua.