www-repository mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: email template for maven evangelism
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 21:49:49 GMT
On 09/06/06, Jorg Heymans <jheymans@apache.org> wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
> > You are asking them to do more work.  For what value?  You keep repeatedly
> > using the "maven" word, and don't seem to care that not everyone cares about
> > maven.  They already have users, and they didn't have to mess with maven to
> > get them.  If I were publishing a nice, simple, but useful utility jar, I
> > certainly would not be using maven.  And the only POM I'd be interested in
> > would be http://www.pomwonderful.com/, and it doesn't use XML.
>
> Right. But that's just you. Others might.

maybe. But in Java OSS citizenship terms there are two things right
now that unifiy projects

Apache Gump
Maven repositories

Maven2 has implicitly dropped of gump: you make m2 your build tool and
you drop off the nightly build of everything.

Its pretty hard to turn round and tell your dependencies that you now
want something from them to help you use the build tool you've chosen,
when that build tool doesnt benefit the rest of the community.

-steve