www-repository mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: email template for maven evangelism
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 18:39:56 GMT
On 09/06/06, Jorg Heymans <jheymans@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm gonna do a "mass" mailing on behalf of apache.org to the project
> maintainers of dependencies that have not released the artifacts we
> require to ibiblio.
>
> 1) any objections to this?
> 2) anything in particular i have left out or worded wrong in below
> email? I know the process is a bit more trickier sometimes (eg we could
> try and nudge them to do a release if we're depending on a revision
> snapshot) but I purposely left that out because too complicated to explain.
>
> --------------
>
> Dear maintainer of <insert project name here>,
>
> It has come to our attention that your library is currently being used
> in a maven2 context by one or more projects from the Apache Software
> Foundation.

> For reasons of build stability and artifact availability it is
> recommended that all library dependencies of our projects are uploaded
> to the maven2 central repository at ibiblio [2]. As you can see, many
> libraries are already represented there.
>
> At the moment, following versions of your library have not yet been
> uploaded to ibiblio:
>
> <insert list of missing versions here>
>

> The procedure of making your library availabe in the maven2 repository
> is quite simple and described here [3]. Should you still require
> assistance with this then the maven2 mailing list [4] should be your
> first point of contact. In the unlikely event that you do not receive
> any answers there you can always contact me directly on this email address.
>
> We would be extremely grateful if you could repeat this process of
> releasing to maven central for all future releases of your project.

> [1] http://maven.apache.org/
> [2] http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/
> [3] http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ibiblio-upload.html
> [4] http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html
>
> ---------------

The message effectively says "please make it easier for me to build my
program by doing some work for me". That doesn't offer any benefits
for the team at the expense of learning and effort. I'd be pretty
pissed off if I got this message. It'd be like getting an email from,
say, the suse team telling me that I had to produce RPM packages of my
code as part of the relase process, a message that would create a
response like "if you want it, go do it yourself". After all, we leave
the jpackage people to do exactly that.

Furthermore there are some of us who dont have any want or need for
maven and maven2. , but who do see the benefit in having a central
repository of OSS libraries.

So i'd position it in a way to emphasise the broad benefits of the
repository, something like:

The Maven and Maven2 repositories (http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/) are
the de-facto standard repository for sharing open source libraries
(and related artifacts, such as source and javadocs) amongst open
source projects. Although written for those tools, the repository is
usable in other products, including
 -Maven2's Ant tasks
 -Ivy Ant tasks to retrieve artifacts using Ivy's own descriptors
 -Ant 1.7's fetch.xml library fetcher script which can pull down artifacts.
 -SmartFrog's library artifact component for downloading and executing JARs.
As such, the repository has moved from just becoming something for a
few tools to a central place to share data, used at runtime as well as
compile time.

At the moment, your project's artifacts are not in the repository. We
think it would be good for the OSS community, and users of your
libraries, if they were. This doesnt' mean that we want to change your
build process to using maven/maven2, only that we'd like you to make
uploading artifacts to the central repository part of its release
process.

If you are interested in doing this, we can help you in the following ways

->maven artifact lists
->point to documents that are show how to release from Ant.
->offer personal hand-holding during the introductory process

We want to help you to join the repository, as your libraries are
valued parts of the OSS toolset, and we want to make them easier to be
distributed. As well as the mailing lists, I can be contacted
personally at *example*@apache.org, or on jabber at
*example*@gmail.com

If you are interested in finding more about the repository internals,
you can join the repository mailing list, repository@apache.org, or
look at the layout document -
http://docs.codehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=22230

your name here,