www-repository mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [Plan of action] Setting up an official maven repository for the ASF
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:38:14 GMT
On Jun 7, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I've had a wild idea the other day, inspired by some talks with some
> other digital library fellows that were complaining about bandwidth
> consumption. They pointed me at
>
>  http://osprey.ibiblio.org/
>
> which is something that ibiblio does to allow transparent
> bittorrent-ization of resources.
>
> And I thought... hmmm, we could take Azureus (which is a kickass
> bittorrent implementation in java), strip down the transport part and
> integrate it in maven. Then use osprey on repo.apache.org to
> bittorrent-ize things.
>
> Thoughts?

I love this idea.  This came up at some Java conference a while back,
but none of us knew of a Java bittorrent client....

I think the trick to pulling this off is to have a way to verify
downloads using a secure signature server of some kind (which you
mentioned in you email but I choped out :) ).  We would also need to
make sure that there were multiple seeds for the repository or we are
just a mirror again.  It would be nice to be able to have users
participate in the torrent but that seems unlikely since the maven
process isn't running that long (except when building geronimo ;) ).

One final thought, we would still need an http repository for those
behind corporate firewalls, because AFAIK they would get terrible
connections due to the fairness algorithms in bittorrent.

-dain