www-repository mailing list archives

From "Brett Porter" <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Plan of action] Setting up an official maven repository for the ASF
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 03:52:58 GMT
On 08/06/06, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> Yep. I like that idea a lot as well. Having the users participate in the P2P
> network is not very hard. Maven doesn't need to be involved, and a pure
> voluntary effort of starting a separate daemon would probably give enough
> peers to manage. After all, we are not talking multi GB downloads (yet) ;o)
> However, How well does P2P perform when the files are small? Would the
> establishment of connection take too long, and we end up with very slow
> downloads?

That has been one of my concerns with it.

The others are:
- a large portion of Maven users in corporate settings are probably
not in a position to the share (or use it if it is not http traffic) -
though it seems like there are a couple of alternatives for this
- you better clearly separate your shareable repository from your
general repository or your corporate code starts finding it's way out
of the building.

- Brett

--
Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org