www-repository mailing list archives

From "Brett Porter" <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Plan of action] Setting up an official maven repository for the ASF
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 02:53:59 GMT
On 08/06/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <geirm@apache.org> wrote:
> Brett Porter wrote:
> > The context of what Hen proposes is things required to build Apache
> > stuff, so it would seem to fit within that definition. "Distribution"
> > is too loose a term in this regard unfortunately.
>
> While the intention is good, some might still consider it "distribution"
> irrespective of how loose you believe the term is.

Yes, I understand. So, I think we've established there's no legal
barrier to this - all we have is that some directors have in the past
said this is not desirable. So we need something from the board that
says otherwise, and in that distribution should be very clearly
defined (or the word not used at all :)

This is, in essence, what I thought Stefano was proposing on the board list.

> > At least until we have some sort of mirroring, this must only be for
> > depending on development versions of 3rd party things, and not
> > incorporated into releases.
>
> I don't understand that - these are released versions of 3rd party things.

"these" ? I was talking about what Hen defined it as, which I
understood to be just development versions, which should not be
incorporated into releases.

> > Otherwise people building releases will
> > hit people.apache.org (and there's no reason for it - releases of 3rd
> > party stuff can be uploaded to ibiblio).
>
> I don't understand what you are saying here.

Ok, if I release something, it needs to be reproducible. For that to
happen, the dependencies need to be both always available and
unchanging. That's meant to be a contract of the central Maven
repository (it unfortunately hasn't always been the case), where
official releases from all over the software world go. For apache
built things, that would be the contract of the ASF repository, but
not the other two.

The ASF snapshot repository would house development versions of Apache
software, the rough equivalent of "nightly builds".

The ASF development repository is a place to facilitate usage in Maven
of things not in either of the above. That is, 3rd party software not
in the central repository.

We don't want everyone building our software having to hit our servers
if they can use a mirror. That leads to saying the last is only for
development versions where it is required, but for released software,
the source should only reference mirror repositories - the only one of
which at the moment is the maven central repo.

Hope that clears it up.

- Brett