www-repository mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [Plan of action] Setting up an official maven repository for the ASF
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 00:07:48 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> I've had a wild idea the other day, inspired by some talks with some
>> other digital library fellows that were complaining about bandwidth
>> consumption. They pointed me at
>>
>>  http://osprey.ibiblio.org/
>>
>> which is something that ibiblio does to allow transparent
>> bittorrent-ization of resources.
>>
>> And I thought... hmmm, we could take Azureus (which is a kickass
>> bittorrent implementation in java), strip down the transport part and
>> integrate it in maven. Then use osprey on repo.apache.org to
>> bittorrent-ize things.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>

> I love this idea.  This came up at some Java conference a while back,
> but none of us knew of a Java bittorrent client....
>
> I think the trick to pulling this off is to have a way to verify
> downloads using a secure signature server of some kind (which you
> mentioned in you email but I choped out :) ).  We would also need to
> make sure that there were multiple seeds for the repository or we are
> just a mirror again.  It would be nice to be able to have users
> participate in the torrent but that seems unlikely since the maven
> process isn't running that long (except when building geronimo ;) ).
>
> One final thought, we would still need an http repository for those
> behind corporate firewalls, because AFAIK they would get terrible
> connections due to the fairness algorithms in bittorrent.

Niclas Hedhman had some very interesting ideas on using RDF with a build
system which did not centralize a repository there by preventing many of
the bottle neck issues we have today with central repos like ibiblio.

Perhaps Niclas can elaborate a bit on this ingenious idea.

Sounded related although not totally on topic.

BTW the p2p propagation of artifacts via bittorent is a great idea.

Alex