www-repository mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: restrictions are optional
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:06:29 GMT
On 6/8/06, Jorg Heymans <jheymans@apache.org> wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> >> Jena is the HPLabs semantic web framework,
> >>
> >> Sourceforge thinks it is BSD licensed:
> >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/jena/
> >> and the public license seems to concur:
> >> http://jena.sourceforge.net/license.html
> >>
> >> I can check if you want, since they do work in the same building as me.
> >>
> >> warez/hsqldb is BSD licensed from 2001 releases onwards
> >>
> >> http://hsqldb.org/web/hsqlLicense.html
> >>
> >> warez/castor : Apache 2.0 from v0.97 upwards
> >>
> >> http://castor.codehaus.org/license.html
> >
> > Yep, most of the ones left in warez should be compatible licences
> > though I've not checked fully.  I just want to get a feel for who
> > needs what - though not everyone knows to come to this list or infra
> > to complain about build problems.
> >
> > Are these three that a project you're on needs?
> >

> FWIW Cocoon needs these three dependencies as well.

All three and chaperon added back and marked as being in use with Cocoon.

Jena depends on ICU4J, which has an X License. Looks pretty BSD-ish,
so no worries there - if Cocoon ship this they might want to let Cliff
know on legal-discuss.

> Wouldn't it be better long term to apply maven advocacy here and send an
> email to the project maintainers asking them to release their jars to
> ibiblio ?

I think it would. I think we need the ability to be able to publish
things in this way, but we need to make sure it's not considered
dependable and encourage people to fix the problems at the root.

Hen